54 / Healthy Diet

A reader of this blog asked me about the Budwig Protocol.  Admitting my ignorance, I did a bit of research.  Dr Joanna Budwig developed a strict diet the primary ingredients of which (broadly speaking) are emulsified flax seed oil and a cottage cheese mixture.  The Bill Henderson Protocol is a modification of this regime that also advocates using flax seed oil and cottage cheese to  increase intake of polyunsaturated fatty acids.  Both protocols claim to treat cancer. 

Nutritionally speaking, cottage cheese is rich in protein, relatively low in fat, and high in calcium, B vitamins and vitamin A.  Flax seed is a particularly good source of selenium and there is a general consensus that a result of selenium deficiency can be an increase in the possibility of cancer.  Compared to other fruits and vegetables flaxseed is rich in lignin, a plant compound that has antioxidant and estrogen properties which may help reduce cancer risk.

I have mentioned before  (in this post) that it makes sense to me to make any foods that are bursting with selenium constituents of my regular diet.  I’m a selenium supporter.  And cottage cheese seems admirably nourishing.  I will happily eat both.  However, everything I’ve read  has cautioned against there being any medically proven merit in the two Protocols in treating cancer.  The Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center, for example, says that “there is no evidence that the regimens work as claimed”.

It is understandable that we should yearn to believe.  But so far no cure, nor preventative measure has been found.  The best and most we can do is to eat well, keep positive and look after ourselves.


Benóg & Zorro




Popular Posts